Mission San Francisco Solano was founded 4 July 1823 (21st in order) by Padre Jose Altimira. The Mission is named for St. Francis Solano, missionary to the Peruvian Indians. The Indian name was thought to be Sonoma. Now part of the Sonoma State Historic Park, the Mission houses the Jorgensen watercolors of Missions of California. There is no active church at the Mission. [Click on image above for photo.]
The Mission is in the Sonoma State Historical Park in Sonoma; middle of the Sonoma Valley wine area. From Northbound U.S. 101 take California 37 at Novato. Proceed to Sears Point and turn on California 121 (Sears Point has a large racetrack; stay in the left lane as you approach since 121 and 116 split here and you will exit from the left lane). Follow 121 to Schellville where you turn North onto California 12. Follow that into Sonoma (about 18 miles total). From Southbound 101 take California 116 at Petaluma. Follow 116 to California 121 and then to California 12 at Schellville. Follow 12 into Sonoma (about 16 miles total). In Sonoma take Broadway to Napa Street (basically just stay on 12 until it comes to a “T” intersection at the park) and then 1st Street (East or West) one block North to Spain Street (facing the park from 12 the Mission is at the back right corner). The Mission is at 114 East Spain Street (California Landmark 3). [Alternate for Southbound 101: At Santa Rosa take California 12 directly down to Sonoma. You will, however, be going through several towns along the way and traffic might be congested.] [Note: If you are on California 121 going to or coming from Sonoma you might want to carve out some time to see the California Missions Museum at the Cline Cellars vineyard.]
- Note: As this is a California State Park if you plan to have a group visit (e.g., school class, club group, etc.) please make arrangements through the California Park System or your group may not be allowed entrance.
- Open daily 10am-5pm. Closed 1 January (New Years Day), Thanksgiving, and Christmas. [Note: MissionTour tries to keep this information up to date but cannot guarantee its accuracy as this is not the official Mission website. If planning a drive to the Mission please contact them directly to get the latest information in order to avoid disappointment.]
- Mail: 114 East Spain Street, Sonoma, CA 95476
- Phone: (707) 938-9560
- For Special Events Call: (707) 939-6188
- [Last confirmed: 12 March 2016]